Thursday, June 8, 2017

Oyster Bay - Pinot Noir (2013)

This is actually an interesting Pinot Noir.  You need to make sure it's warmed quite well or the taste will be no good.  Usually I try to serve wine around cellar temperature, but ideally I would serve this one around half way between cellar and room temperature.

The tannins are also pretty strong in this one when it's chilled, so make sure to properly aerate.

What makes this pinot really interesting is that the fruity flavor is kind of muddled and muddy, and to me it has part of the flavor of a German or Czech pilsner.  I would describe half of the flavor profile as being medium-dark fruit (standard for Pinot Noir).  The other half, once warmed, I would describe as the slightly sour and savory flavor from a good pilsner.

It's different than I was expecting, but an interesting flavor that I enjoy.

Overall worth the $13, and this is a pretty common brand in the US.

4/4




No comments:

Post a Comment